There was also a large Indian village at Ionia, located about where the Pere Marquette car shops now stand, presided over by Cob-moo-sa, an Indian of much dignity and manliness. The real Indian name of Cob-moo-sa was one meaning "Great Walker," which in the Indian tongue, was "Weeb-moo-sa." there being really no meaning to the word "Cob-moo-sa." But the Indian words were no easy thing for the whites to speak and this was the name by which he and his family were always known. This was made known by J. O. Hooker, of Lowell, the oldest resident, who knew them well. Cob-moo-sa was second in command of the Flat River bands, and their general encampment was at the mouth of that river. They had been told by Mr. Dexter, when he located his land the fall before, that he intended to return the following spring with a colony, but the spring was so far advanced before the colony put in an appearance that the Indians had given up their coming and had put in their corn and gardens and disliked to give them up—but upon being paid twenty-five dollars by Mr. Dexter for these and five bark wigwams, they gave up their village and moved a little further away. It was learned that the chief moved about four miles down the Grand river, and for some years made his home on what became the farm of Hon. Alonzo Sessions, now owned by the county of Ionia for a county home. His wigwam was in the bend of the creek- south of where the barn now stands.

Source: History of Ionia County, Michigan, Her People, Industries and Institutions Volume 1
Published 1916
By Rev. Elam E. Branch Editor