This village may be called the twin sister of Houghton, being only
divided by Portage Lake, less than a mile in width. Like her sister
diagonally across the lake, it lies upon the bluffy slope from the lake,
though of a somewhat sharper incline toward the north. The land upon which
it stands was originally owned by C. C. Douglas, and by him sold to the
Quincy Mining Company, of which he was a member, and the first agent. The
village, then in Portage Township, was laid out and platted in 1859, by
Samuel W. Hill, then the agent of the Quincy Mining Company, upon their
land, on Sections 26 and 35, Township 55, north of Range 34 west. Like the
other villages and hamlets of the county, it was the growth of the mining
interests. Had no copper mines been discovered in this region, quite likely
there would have been no Hancock, nor other villages hereabouts. Hancock was
incorporated under a charter in 1875, and amended in 1877.
Among the early pioneers of Hancock were C. C. Douglas,
James A. Close, Aaron, Samuel F. and Henry Leopold, Phillip Scheuermann,
James Ross, Mr. Boswell, John Ryan, Peter Ruppe, David L. Kendall, Rev
Edward Jacker, Edward Ryan, Henry Drittler, Mr Mathew, Dennis Coughlin, A.
Ruhl, S. W. Hill, and others whose names were not ascertained.
The first election of village officers under its charter
was held at the office of William Lapp, March 10, 1863, at which the
following officers were elected: President, Henry C. Park; Clerk, William
Lapp; Treasurer, P. T. Tracy; Trustees, Dennis Dean, Samuel F. Leopold,
William R. Noble, P. G. Tracy, Thomas Wallace and James D. Reed; Assessors,
David Saar, M. W. Fecheimer; Marshal, Patrick Felbey. There were 196 votes
The first assessed valuation of the village, in May,
1863, was $146,875, upon which a tax levy of $1,633.32 was made. This sum
was divided into the following funds: Water fund, $1,028.12; incidental
fund, $440.63; highway fund, $117; fees for collecting the aggregate tax
The Leopold Brothers erected the first store building in
Hancock in 1858. They came from Eagle Harbor and Eagle River as soon as the
village was laid out, and started the first store. The first building where
Hancock now stands was a log cabin, built in 1846, and stood about midway up
the slope toward the Quincy Mine. It was erected at that piont to hold what
was known as the Ruggles Mineral Claim. Besides this cabin, there were, in
1852, two other log cabins in the ravine just back or north of the copper
smelting works, in one of which James Ross, connected with the Quincy Mine,
then lived. Although Mr. C. C. Douglass did not remain a permanent resident
of Hancock, yet he was the first individual owner of the land upon which it
stands, and, in 1852, made his residence thereon, in a log house on the
slope of the bluff, where he remained until 1854.
Another early comer was S. M. Boswell, who, in 1852, made
a claim, by pre-emption, to the land where the Pewabic Stamp Mill now
stands, east of the village.
On Sunday, the 11th day of April, 1869, Hancock, which had then grown to
quite a pretentious size, was almost entirely destroyed by fire. About
three-fourths of the entire village, including all, or nearly all, the
business houses, churches, residences, etc., were, in a brief space of time,
swept away. The fire was caused by a defective stovepipe flue in a saloon
standing where Coughlin's livery stable now stands. The business houses were
all rebuilt the same year, except that of Leopold & Austrian, who did not
rebuild again. The town recovered from this destructive loss within the next
two years. As before noted, that portion of Portage Township in which the
village of Hancock was located was, April 1, 1861, set off and organized
into a new township, called Hancock, wherein the first election of township
officers was held at the store of Baer & Brothers, at which F. Leopold was
chosen Moderator; James H. Ralston and Nathan D. Potter, Inspectors; and E.
J. Northrup, Clerk; thus constituting the Board of Election. The following
officers were chosen: Supervisor, Samuel S. Robinson; Clerk, Elijah G.
Northrup; Justices of the Peace, Nathan D. Potter, Henry H. Hazelton and
Henry G. Chase; Treasurer, Shadrach Gillett; Commissioners of Highways, John
C. Ryan, O. K. Patterson and Henry H. Hazelton; School Inspectors, John H.
Forster and James H. Mather; Constables, John H. Brown, Peter Kapplekom,
William McCallenk and M. Dugan.
The present township officers are: Supervisor, A. J.
Scott; Clerk, Michael Finn; Treasurer, P. C. Sullivan: school Inspector, S.
E. Whitney; Justice of the Peace, M. Finn; Constables, John C. Flynn, Adam
Hananer, Jacob Rentenback and B. Schnider; Commissioner of Highways, P. C.
As soon as a settlement was formed, among the first
objects of the pioneers was the establishment of a post office, which was
established in 1858, with E. L. Mason as the first Postmaster. The office
was first kept in the store of Leopold & Austrian, on the northwest corner
of Water and Reservation streets, for two years, when it was removed to the
store of R. Sheldon & Co., on the southeast corner of Quincy and Tuscuco
streets. Here it remained for some six years, under the administration of
Charles Heinbeck as the second Postmaster, who was succeeded by Thomas M.
Lee, under whose administration the office was removed to Second street,
about opposite to the present Masonic Hall, where it remained for some ten
years. Lee was succeeded by the present incumbent, M. L. Cardell, who was
appointed May 10, 1878, who moved the office to its present location, on
Reservation street. The present quarterly receipts of this office are
something over those of its sister Houghton, over the lake. They are both
salaried offices, with like compensation.
The Hancock Fire Department was organized March 1, 1871,
and its first purchase was a hand engine from Rumsey & Co., the following
summer; and, early in 1873, they purchased a double cylinder steam fire
engine, Coles Bros'. pattern. They now have on hand 2,500 feet of hose. The
water supply is excellent. Besides the lake front, they have a series of
cisterns on the slope, connected with small ones on the corners of the main
street; one cistern, forty by sixty feet, and fourteen feet deep, located
near the tramway to the Quincy Mine, is elevated about two hundred feet
above Quincy street; and about one hundred feet below is another, thirty by
forty by fourteen feet. These are both connected with the cisterns at the
engine house and small cisterns at the street intersections. Just to the
west of Ravine street is another cistern, on the slope, thirty by forty by
fourteen feet; and still further west is another smaller one. But the main
feature of this supply is a three-inch pipe, extending 3,220 feet on Quincy
street, and some 350 feet on Ravine street, connecting with the five-inch
pipe leading from a stationary engine at the lake to the Quincy Mine on the
hill, an elevation of over five hundred feet. This pipe is also connected
with the different cisterns along Quincy street, with fire-plugs and valves
so arranged that hose can be directly attached at all necessary points. By
connecting this pipe with the steamer in the engine house, when the Quincy
engine is not working, water can be forced to any point along the line, and
thrown as readily, through hose attached to the fire-plugs, as though the
engine was working at the spot.
Thus the village is well prepared for effective battle
against fire. It has a well-constructed and ample wooden building, with
cupola and bell, located at the east end of Quincy, the main street of the
town. The organization is well manned, and effective in the hours of duty.
Prominent among the productive industries of Hancock is
the Detroit and Lake Superior Copper Company—copper smelting works. This is
now one of the largest copper smelting and refining works in the world, and
is the first in the production of refined copper, the company operating
works on Portage Lake and at Detroit, both of which are now under the
management of Mr. James R. Cooper. The works were originally started in
Detroit, through the efforts of Mr. John R. Grout, who was one of the early
pioneers and operators in the Lake Superior copper region, and has been
closely identified with its interests and progressive development, much of
which is really due to his energy and perseverance. In 1850, he became
associated with some capitalists of Waterbury, Conn., and, with them,
organized the Waterbury and Detroit Copper Company, with J. M. L. Scoville,
President; John S. Mitchell, Secretary, and John R. Grout, Superintendent
and Manager, and the works were erected in Detroit, and a little copper
smelted that year. The products of these works were readily increased as the
mining developments were advanced, and the product of refined metal in 1855
was 2,895 tons. The rapid increase of the quantity of raw copper produced by
the extended mining operations, stimulated by the impetus given them by the
smelting works, soon made it apparent that smelting works must also be
placed in the vicinity of the mines to accommodate more fully the expansion
of the copper interests. In 1860, the erection of the present extensive
works was commenced by the Portage Lake Smelting Company—E. D. Brigham,
Secretary and Treasurer, and John Williams, Superintendent—on the north side
of Portage Lake, between Houghton and Hancock. In 1867, a union was formed
by the Waterbury and Detroit Company, under the name of the Detroit and Lake
Superior Copper Company, and the management of both works was placed under
the control of Mr. Grout, which he supervised up to the time of his death.
Mr. James R. Cooper, the present Manager, commenced with Mr. Grout in the
spring of 1851, and, in the fall of 1854, became foreman and Superintendent
of the Detroit works under Mr. Grout, and has also had the superintendence
of the works at Portage Lake since 1873, in which capacity he continued
until the decease of Mr. Grout, in January, 1882, when he was elected as
Manager of the united works, with which he has been so long identified.
Their furnaces are an improvement of the Welch
reverberatory air furnaces. The coal, being converted into gas and carbon
vapor, is mixed with currents of heated air at the bridge, and maintains an
even and steady heat throughout the furnace. They have at Portage Lake three
large buildings, with four air furnaces in each; another large building,
with four blast furnaces or cupolas for melting the slag and reducing it to
a matt to use in the refining hearth along with the fresh ore, besides
buildings for engines and machinery, smithshops and assay works, large
cooperage works for making and repairing barrels, with platforms, docks and
yards, covering about ten acres of ground.
They are now working the products of nearly all the mines
in the copper region, studying closely the nature of the products of each
mine, to enable them to work them in such a manner as to produce the highest
grade of refined copper.
The annual product of these works has increased steadily from the
commencement, the united works producing 28,000 tons of refined copper
during the last year. Mr. Cooper is ably assisted in the conduct of the
works by D. B. Cooper, foreman; Robert Middlemiss, assistant foreman; Z. W.
Wright, financial clerk; C. Smith, clerk; M. B. Patch,
chemist and assayer, and Joseph Curnow, assistant assayer.
The Lake Superior Iron Works, on the north bank of
Portage Lake, were built in 1869, by Mr. S. F. Hodge, as a branch of the
Riverside Iron Works at Detroit. They were burned down in 1875, involving a
heavy loss, but were immediately rebuilt. They employ from fifty to eighty
men, and manufacture from 500 to 600 tons of castings annually, running two
engines. S. F. Hodge, sole proprietor; Harvey S. Hodge, Manager.
Shelden Foundry is located on Portage Lake, about one
mile east of Hancock, at a hamlet called Ripley. It is under the careful
management of Mr. Carlos D. Shelden, of Houghton, and is doing an extensive
and thriving manufacturing and jobbing business.
The Sturgeon River Lumber Company was organized December
23, 1872, by J. A. Close, E. L. Wright, J. N. Wright, F. D. White, S. D.
North and O. W. Robinson, with a capital of $50,000. The mill, located on
the north bank of Portage Lake, at the western end of Hancock Village, was
built in 1873, with a capacity for working up 8,000,000 feet of lumber a
season, employing fifty men. It is run by an engine 20x30 inches. They also
organized, January 27, 1875, the Sturgeon River Boom Company, building heavy
stone piers and placing booms at a bend of the river nearly six miles above
its mouth, from which they have cut a canal over thirteen hundred feet
across the marsh to Pike Bay, where their logs are stored. This company have
about one thousand acres of land, and control six miles of water front, on
Sturgeon River and Pike Bay. They now have facilities for handling
50,000,000 feet of logs, with a capacity, when improved, of 200,000,000
feet. Capital stock of boom company, $25,000, divided into 250 shares F. G.
White, James A. Close and J. N. Wright, Directors; F. G. White, President;
and E. L. Wright, Secretary and Treasurer.
The saw-mill and lumber establishment of Matt M. Moralee
is located on the north shore of Portage Lake, in the west part of Hancock.
It was rebuilt in 1881; is operated by steam power, with a working capacity
of 30,000 feet of lumber per day of ten hours. He employs thirty men. This
mill was first built in 1860, with a capacity of 12,000 feet per day only,
which was destroyed by fire in 1865, and rebuilt at once on a larger scale,
and thus operated until 1881, when it was rebuilt as above noted. Mr.
Moralee was associated in business with J. H. Olds from the first until the
death of the latter, in August, 1872, caused by the explosion of a steam tug
boiler belonging to this firm. They also owned a saw-mill and sash and door
factory at Ripley, a hamlet a mile east of Hancock, in which they employ
fifty men, and operated for seven years. They also built a grist-mill
opposite the Atlantic Stamp Mill on Portage Lake, which cost $20,000, but
was never operated as such, for the want of grain to grind. Hence it became
dead property. Mr. White is the junior associate of the Ripley works.
The Hancock Ashery is owned by Fred Boss, and makes about
one hundred barrels of potash annually, worth about $25 a barrel, using
about ten thousand bushels of ashes a year.
M. J. Gement's wagon manufactory and blacksmithing was
established at the foot of Reservation street in June, 1880. Averages about
$15,000 a year.
The mercantile interest in its various branches is well
represented in Hancock by old and well-established houses. Edward Ryan,
Peter Ruppe & Son, A. J. Wertin & Sons, H. L. Hennes, Peter Holman, Max Bear
and William Condon are the leading dealers in general merchandise, clothing,
etc., adapted to the mining population of this section. In the grocery and
provision line are William Mason, James Manley, James Dennis, Stephen
Carkett and William Roberts. In the hardware are William Kerridge and M. L.
Crandell. There are also two well-appointed drug stores, by A. J. Scott and
Dr. P. H. Gallagher; and G. Deimel, an extensive dealer in jewelry, watches,
As an auxiliary of the productive and commercial
interests of a community are its money institutions, in 1872, W. H. Streeter
opened the first bank, a private institution, which only continued until the
close of the next year.
In November, 1872, E. H. Towar also opened a private
bank, with a capital of $28,000, which, in May, 1874, was converted into the
present First National Bank of Hancock, with a capital of $100,000. Its
present officers are: S. North, President; James A. Close, Vice President;
and H. Toman, Cashier. They own its building, located on Reservation street,
built of brick. It does a healthy business.
Hancock has a thoroughly organized and well-conducted
union school. It was first kept in a frame building up the slope on Franklin
street, from 1869 to 1875. In the latter year, a new, ample and elegant
school building was constructed on Quincy street, at the west end of the
village and outside of the corporate limits, at a cost of $29,050. It is
veneered with brick over frame, except the basement, which is solid wall.
They have eight departments, including the high school, and employ eight
teachers, including one for music. There are 1,100 scholars of school age in
the district, with 400 enrolled, and with an average attendance of 314
Besides this, the Catholics and Lutherans have each a
sectarian school for their denominations, which are managed at their own
expense. The first school on this side of the lake was opened at the Pewabic
Mine, as a mining school, and was attended by six or seven scholars. The
wages of teachers range from $35 to $135 per month, averaging $51.43.
The First Congregational Church is located on the southwest corner of
Hancock and Tezcuco streets. The first steps toward the organization were
taken December 5, 1861, at a meeting of the citizens held for that purpose.
In the spring of 1862, the society was organized by Rev. Thos. Bliss, and
the church edifice was completed and dedicated in January, 1863; cost,
$4,500. In 1869, the building and furniture were burned. It was speedily
rebuilt, and at a cost of $14,000, and was again dedicated June 5, 1870. The
Sunday school increased from forty, in 1861, to 450 at present. The church
was organized without the aid of a council, and has remained independent,
having no form of fellowship with the churches of the denomination until
August, 1879. It has now 184 members. Edward L. Wright is the present
Superintendent of the Sunday school. First membership of the society was but
sixteen. The church edifice is a neat and ample frame structure, standing on
the slope and overlooking Portage Lake. The society is in good financial
condition. The pastors since the organization have been Revs. Thomas E.
Bliss, from 1862 to 1863; Fayette Hurd, from 1863 to 1864; C. B. Stevens,
from 1865 to 1868; P. H. Hollister, from 1868 to 1876, the date of his
death; W. W. Curtis, from 1876 to 1877; E. R. Stiles, from 1877 to 1881,
when the present incumbent, Frank N. White, was installed, who was born in
Lyons, Iowa, in 1858. The Deacons are G. W. Rider and A. C. Patterson,
appointed January 23, 1863.
The Methodist Episcopal Church, located on the
northeast corner of Hancock and Ravine streets, is the outgrowth of the
Methodist Episcopal Church of Houghton. The initiatory steps for the
erection of the present church edifice were taken in the winter of 1860,
under the direction of Rev. Robert Bird. At this time, twelve members
constituted its membership. The corner-stone was laid with proper ceremonies
July 7, 1861; Rev. F. A. Blades, of Ann Arbor, orator. Under the able
management of its pastor, Rev. John M. Van Every, who is now in the latter
part of his third year in this place, the church edifice was moved, in June,
1881, to make room for the fine parsonage since erected. At the same time, a
large basement was made to the church. By these improvements, about $2,000
has been added to the value of the property. They have also added a large
bell, purchased new pulpit furniture, and built new walks and fences. The
society now numbers about one hundred Has a flourishing Sunday school, and
is out of debt.
The St. Ann Catholic Church, on the northeast corner
of Quincy and Ravine streets, was built in 1861, by Rev. Edward Jacker, who
organized the congregation in that year, and remained its pastor until 1866,
from which time until 1880 the congregation was under the charge of Revs.
Edmund Walsch, James Sweeney, William Dwyer and Fred Eis, when Father Jacker
was again installed as pastor. They have a large school and dwelling house
for the Sisters, who are the teachers, and have about four hundred pupils in
attendance. There are eight teachers, including the music teacher. Boys are
only admitted until twelve years of age. The adults and children in this
congregation number about thirty-nine hundred.
St. Peter and St. Paul's German Lutheran Church, on
the northeast corner of Hancock and Montezuma streets, was founded in 1866,
by Rev. J. E. Wuebben. At that time, there were eight members. The building
was erected at that time, which is now the pastorate and main school
building of the society. In 1873, he was succeeded by Rev. Ebert, who
erected a separate school building, now used for the primary classes, the
membership at this time being twenty-two. In 1878, Rev. Phillip Wambsganss,
the present pastor, was called to the charge. In 1881, a new church building
was erected, at a cost of $4,000. They have now a congregation of sixty-two
members. Mr. Wambsganss also preaches once a month in the Methodist Church
at Torch Lake, and in the schoolhouse at Atlantic.
There are a good number of this class of societies in
Hancock, all of which seem to be well patronized and supported. Of these,
Quincy Lodge, F. & A. M., No. 135, commenced work under a dispensation
in 1861, and was organized under a charter from the Grand Lodge of the State
of Michigan, January 10, 1862. It has a membership of about seventy. Regular
meetings every third Tuesday in each month. Hall, southeast corner of
Hancock and Ravine streets.
Gate of the Temple Chapter, R. A. M., No. 35, was
instituted January 10, 1865. Has about one hundred and twenty members.
Regular meetings fourth Wednesday in each month, in Masonic Hall.
Mystic Lodge, I. O. O. F., was instituted August 8,
1867. It has ninety members, and is in a flourishing condition financially. Meets in Masonic Hall building every
Foster Encampment, No. 24, I. O. O. F., was
instituted January 13, 1868. Has forty members, and is in a flourishing
condition. Regular meetings, third Thursday of every month, in the same hall
as the subordinate lodge.
German Benevolent Society, organized in 1860, hold
regular meetings the first Sunday in every month, at their hall on Quincy
street. They have a membership of about one hundred.
St. Joseph's Society was organized in October, 1877,
and has a membership of 180. It is an incorporated society, and has $1,800
in its treasury, and banners and regalia worth $500 more. Regular meetings,
the last Sunday of every month, in Germania Hall. It belongs to the Central
Verein, a union of all the German Catholic societies in the United States.
Ancient Order of Foresters, Court Rising Sun, No. 5,960,
was organized April 9, 1876, under a charter from the High Court of the
Order, Worcester, England, granted to John Stapleton, John Martyn and Thomas
Bates. It is an incorporated benevolent association; has 126 members, and
$1,700, in the treasury, and some $600 in furniture and regalia. Regular
meetings at Foresters' Hall, on Quincy street, every Saturday except the
last in each month.
The Ancient Order of the Shepherds constitutes the
second degree lodge, and is working under dispensation in concert with the
The Order of Hermann's Sons was organized in the city
of New York in 1840; established in Hancock in 1865. Meet every other
Wednesday, in Masonic Hall building. They have a lodge also at Calumet and
at Lake Linden, with a total membership in Houghton County of 140. Henry
Drittler, of Hancock, is the Representative to Grand Lodge from Michigan.
They have $600 to $700 in the treasury for benevolent proposes. The society
numbers about twenty-seven thousand in the United States.
The Soldiers' and Sailors' Association of the Upper
Peninsula of Michigan was organized in September, 1879, for holding
re-unions and social gatherings. It now numbers about eighty-five members.
August 27, 1882, they held a re-union at Lake Linden, which was greatly
enjoyed by the veterans and their friends.
St. Patrick's Society was organized in 1860, with
seventy members. Their first hall was burned down in 1881, and their new
hall was completed and used July 4, 1882, and is valued at $10,000. They
have expended for benevolent purposes since their organization over $30,000.
At the time of their incorporation, in 1874, they had a membership of 180.
Hall, southeast corner of Quincy and Ravine streets. The first officers
were: Wm. Ryan, President; Capt. James H. Quinn, Vice President; Secretary,
J. H. Kerwin; Treasurer, E. Ryan. Present officers are P. Cudihy, President;
J. B. Looney, Vice President; M. Redmond, Secretary and Treasurer. Their
hall is a high frame structure, 40x80 feet, well arranged and finely
furnished inside, and is used for theaters, lectures and other public
The Ancient Order of Hibernians of Hancock is one of
the oldest divisions in the State, and had been instituted two or three
years before the State society was incorporated by special act of the
Legislature in 1879. They hold regular meetings in St. Patrick's Hall the
last Sunday in every month. Have 110 members, and from $1,600 to $1,700 in
the treasury as a beneficiary fund.
Robert Emmett Young Men's Benevolent Society was organized March 4,
1880, by Peter S. Harrington, John J. Sullivan, Dennis Riley and Cornelius
Harrington. Is an incorporated society. Has about one hundred members.
Regular meetings in St. Patrick's Hall second and third Sundays in each
month. They have about $600 in the treasury, and are in a flourishing
The Young Men's Literary Association of Hancock was
organized in March, 1875, by E. L. Wright, C. Wright, C. A. Stringer, W. B.
Anderson, R. O. Davidson and E. A. Mack, who established a reading room, and
lecture courses for literary advancement. It now has a membership of
sixty-five. Its first officers were: President, E. L. Wright; Vice
President, E. A. Mack; Secretary, W. B. Anderson; Treasurer, C. A. Stringer;
Librarian, F. W. R. Berry. The above officers constituted the Board of
Management. This society was started mainly through the instrumentality of
Rev. R. H. Hollister, of the Congregational Church, which gave it free room
until 1878, when it moved into the Masonic Block, where it remained until
December, 1881, when it moved into Scott's Block, its present quarters. It
is kept up at an expense of $300 a year, and was designed to promote a
healthy moral and literary influence with the young men of the town. Has
course of lectures each winter, and maintains a good reading room. Its
present officers are: President, A. S. Whitney; Vice President, James
Pierce; Secretary, Miss Ella E. Dean; Treasurer, R. O. Davidson; Librarian,
A. W. Lord. Ladies are now also admitted to its membership.
The Emerald Literary Society. Through the efforts of
Dr. P. H. Gallagher, a debating and lecture association was formed in 1874.
On St. Patrick's night, 1876, a social gathering was held at the hall, and
addresses were made by Dr. Gallagher, Thomas M. Brady, John C. Flynn, James
Looney and Dr. Scallon. Through the united efforts of the organizers, a
library of nearly three hundred volumes has been founded, and they now have
about $500 in the treasury, and twenty-five members in good standing. Meet
in St. Patrick's Hall.
There are several public houses for the entertainment of
travelers. Among these the Lake View House stands conspicuous. It was
purchased in 1872 by Thomas Smart, then a frame structure 36x40 feet, two
stories high, who kept it as a boarding house until 1881, when he enlarged
it to 50x64 feet and three stories high, it now having a capacity for sixty
guests. It is now the leading house of the town.
The Northwestern Hotel is centrally located on Quincy
street, a frame structure of moderate size, two stories high, and kept by
Fred Gettling. It was built since 1869.
The Pacific House is a quiet retreat for the traveling
and boarding public, a good-sized frame structure, three stories high,
located on Second street, and kept by John H. Thomas. It is one of the
oldest houses in the village.
The Hancock Hotel is located on the northwest corner of
Quincy street; is frame, two stories high, somewhat ancient in age, and kept
by James P. Pearce.
There are two or three livery stables, wagon, blacksmith,
paint, boot and shoe, tailor and other industrial shops, equal to the
necessities of the people, besides moderate boarding houses and saloons,
fully if not more than equal to the needs of the community.
Be it said the legal profession is not represented in
Hancock by a single full-fledged practicing lawyer, while the medical,
profession is represented by several physicians —Drs. Teiman, Flanner,
The newspaper press of Hancock dates back to 1870 only,
when Archy J. Scott and Alex Hamilton started the Hancock Times. The first
number was issued November 12, a small sheet, eight by twelve inches, with
four three-column pages. It announced at its head, "Published
semi-occasionally, by Hamilton, Scott & Co."
Among the business cards of the first number in existence
were those of W. W. Perry, M. D., Condon & Close, M. H. Mandlebaum; Morales,
Olds & White, lumber; Holland & Patterson, hardware; T. D. Meads, jewelry
for Christmas and other days; John Gibson, clothing; E. Ryan, dry goods;
William Washburn, books, etc.; and Hocking & Trescott, telling where the
inner man can be stimulated with the "ardent." Marriages were announced
under the head of "Slaughter of Innocents," the first being "Mr. Stephen
Nichols, Assistant Postmaster at Calumet, and Miss Hannah James, slaughtered
by Rev. P. H. Hollister, October 5, 1870. No cards."
It was a spicy, plucky little paper, exhibiting no mean
order of talent and enterprise. But it closed its brief but brilliant career
February 17, 1872, with a "Personal Tale of Blasted Hopes."
The next paper started in Hancock was the Northwestern
Mining Journal. The first number was issued May 1, 1872, by E. B. Kibbie and
John Wilson, publishers and editors. It was a twenty-four by thirty-six inch
sheet, folio form, six columns to the page, devoted to the mining interests
of this region and to local affairs. After a year or two of existence, Mr.
Wilson retired, and the paper was enlarged to a twenty-eight by forty inch
sheet, eight columns to the page, folio in form, with Mr. Kibbie as its sole
publisher and editor. The Journal has always been regarded good authority in
mining matters. For some time, Mr. R. P. Tuter, an efficient newspaper man,
has rendered editorial assistance on the Journal. The establishment occupies
its own building, a substantial stone structure on the northwest corner of
Reservation and Quincy streets, equipped with steam-power presses, etc. The
Journal is now the only paper published in Hancock.
However, in January, 1877, another paper was started in
the village as a candidate for public favor, by William and Patrick Harley,
called the Lake Superior News. Like most of the Upper Peninsula papers, it
was neutral in politics, religion, and everything else except mining and
local interests. It was a folio sheet of seven columns to the page. It was
established in connection with the Harley Bros'. book-bindery, which was
started in September, 1874, and stopped October, 1878, but was found to be a
non-paying venture, and therefore was discontinued after six months'
The assessed valuation of the property of Hancock Village
for the present year, 1882, is $226,700, which the law requires to be made
at full cash valuation. The levy upon this assessment was $3,400.50,
apportioned to the general, highway and fire funds.
The present officers of the village, 1882, are: President, Edward Ryan;
Recorder, M. Finn; Treasurer, A. J. Scott; Assessors, Henry Drittler.
Michael Doyle; Marshal, J. C. Flynn; Trustees, P. Ruppe, W. H. Roberts,
Thomas Smart, Jacob Baer, M. M. Moralee, Adolph Rhul.