History of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Houghton County 

Source: History of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan: containing a full account of its early settlement, its growth, development, and resources, an extended description of its iron and copper mines : also, accurate sketches of its counties, cities, towns, and villages ... biographical sketches, portraits of prominent men and early settlers. Publication Info: Chicago : Western Historical Co., 1883. Pages 283-286.


REES JAMES, Superintendent of the Lake Superior Native Copper Works, was born in Swansea, Wales, March 5, 1831, and emigrated to America in 1850, and located at Seymour, Conn., and engaged with the New Haven Copper Company. He commenced at the lowest round of the ladder in the business, and steadily progressed until he was foreman of the rolling department; he continued with that company until the fall of 1871, when he withdrew to accept the position of Superintendent of the construction and operating of the Houghton Copper Works at Houghton, Lake Superior. The mill was constructed in forty-five days, and put in successful operation; after running fifteen months, the works closed for lack of capital in the financial crisis of 1873. Mr. James then returned to Connecticut, and engaged with the Ansonia Brass and Copper Company. In 1881, on the re-opening of the rolling mill at Houghton under present management, and the name of the Lake Superior Copper Works, Mr. James accepted his present position of Superintendent. Under his efficient management the works are running with marked success. Mr. James was married at Swansea, Wales, June 17, 1858, having returned to Wales for that purpose. His wife, Lydia, is the daughter of Mr. Griffith Jones, of Swansea, and granddaughter of the late John Jones, of Blainherwiss, Carmarthenshire, South Wales. They have had four children, three of whom are living—Elizabeth A., Lydia L., George B. and Alice G. The eldest, Elizabeth A., died in childhood.

KEHL BROTHERS (William, Herman and Charles), proprietors of meat market, established their present business in 1878. The senior partner, William Kehl, was born at the Cliff Mine, Keweenaw Co., Mich., in 1851, and moved to Sheboygan County, Wis., in childhood. The younger brothers, Herman and Charles, were born in the latter county. William returned to Lake Superior in 1866, and spent five years as book-keeper. He went to Detroit and took a regular course of fourteen months at Bryant & Stratton's Business College, and graduated. He spent several months in bookkeeping, and returned to Lake Superior. From 1874 to 1878, he kept books for August Dallmeyer, of Houghton. He then formed a partnership with his brothers in his present business.

FRED W. KROLL, of the firm of Fred W. Kroll & Co., dealers in books, stationery and notions. This firm is composed of Fred W. Kroll and Frank A. Douglass. The subject of this sketch is the son of Frederick and Fredericka Kroll; he was born in Houghton, Mich., September 30, 1857. He received a common school education, and was employed eight years as clerk in the Houghton Post Office. He then formed a partnership with Frank A. Douglass in his present business in September, 1879.

WILLIAM LEAN, Judge of Probate of Houghton County, was born in Cornwall, England, December 21, 1821. He is the son of Joseph and Jane Trelease Lean; was brought up a miner; served as mining captain in the Meavy Console Mine, Parish of Meavy; was also a captain in the Carpenter Mine, Parish of Sydenham, County of Devonshire. He came to America in the spring of 1855; made his home in Iowa County, Wis., till October of that year. He then came to Lake Superior, and located at Ontonagon, Mich.; for a few years he was engaged in mining. In 1860, he was elected Justice of the Peace; was re-elected several times, holding the office twelve years in all. He was elected Judge of Probate of Ontonagon County, and served four years; was re-elected, and resigned in the second year of the second term. He came to Houghton in 1873, and for several years was employed as a traveling agent. In November, 1880, he was elected Judge of Probate of Houghton County for the present term. Judge Lean was married in Devonshire, England, in February, 1841, to Miss Jane Bennett, daughter of Francis Bennett. Mrs. Lean was born in the Parish of Mary Tavy, Devonshire, England. They have had the remarkable number of eighteen children, eleven of whom are living at this date. Those living are—William H., Joseph A., Augusta S., Emily J., Harold E., Charles F., Alfred J., Georgiana L., Annie L., Francis J. and Horatio S. The eldest daughter, Amelia A. M., was drowned when eight years of age by falling from a steamer on the Mississippi River, near St. Louis, Mo. F. John, the eldest son, was killed in the mines at Ontonagon, aged twenty-three years. He had been married only ten weeks previous to his death. Five children died in infancy.

G LEIBETRAU & BRO., proprietors of meat market at Houghton, with branch market at the Huron mine, under the management of the younger brother, Ernst. Mr. G. Leibetrau was born in Germany in 1850, and came to America in 1869; he located at Houghton, and worked for various parties till 1879, when he started in the butchering business with his brother, at the Huron Mine. In the summer of 1882, they opened a market at Houghton, which is under the management of the elder brother, while the younger brother: Ernst, continued in charge of the Huron market.

BENJAMIN R. LIVERMORE, explorer of mineral and timber lands, first settled in the Lake Superior country in 1846. He was born in Hornellsville, Steuben Co., N. Y., July 6, 1826. He is the son of Dr. John S. and Orpha Livermore; he moved with his parents to Oakland County, Mich., in 1830; in 1846, he entered the employ of the American Exploring, Mining & Manufacturing Company, and was assigned to an expedition dispatched to the Lake Superior country. The expedition proceeded via the Sault Ste. Marie River, and by the lake to Pigeon River, and explored the shore to Copper Harbor, and from thence to the Ontonagon River. The result of this expedition was the discovery of the Norwich Copper Mine, on the West Branch of the Ontonagon River; he was appointed Indian Farmer by the Government, and served in that capacity for two years, in 1848 and 1849, with headquarters at Fond Du Lac, L. S. During that time, he made a canoe voyage from La Pointe to the St. Louis River, up the river to the head-waters of the Mississippi; down the Mississippi to the mouth of the St. Croix; up the St. Croix to its source; across the Portage to the Brule River; down the Brule to the lake, and back to La Pointe. In 1856 and 1857, he had charge of the explorations of the Ste. Marie Falls Ship Canal Company, on Keweenaw Point, and subsequently in the iron regions for many years; he made his headquarters at Eagle Harbor and Copper Harbor. He was married, at Copper Harbor, L. S., March 8, 1855, to Miss Martha, daughter of Maj. John Beedon. Mrs. Livermore was born at Plymouth, Wayne Co., Mich., and accompanied her father to L'Anse, in 1846, being the first white young lady on the lake; for three years she did not see a white young lady. The story of her school days is rather romantic; her father having decided to send her to school at Ann Arbor in 1849, the question of transportation became a serious one. They were then living at the Methodist Mission, at L'Anse, where the Major was serving as Indian Farmer. As no boats touched at the mission unless chartered, it became a necessity to reach Eagle River on Keweenaw Point. To reach this point, the young lady was obliged to go by small boat up the Keweenaw Bay to Portage entry; thence to the head of Torch Lake, where a horse and Indian escort awaited her; thence by trail to Eagle River on horseback. The Indian packing her clothing at Eagle River, she took the propeller Napoleon for below. On her return from school, she was landed at Marquette, and then coasted in a small boat eighty miles on Lake Superior and Keweenaw Bay to her home at the Mission. The imagination of the reader can fill out the picture. This plain statement of facts will convey some idea of the experience of a young lady getting an education under difficulties. Since her marriage, Mrs. L. has had a varied experience of frontier life on Lake Superior. She has made several coasting voyages in small boats. Once she made the trip from Mission at L'Anse around Keweenaw Point to Eagle Harbor. The winter of 1873 and 1874, she spent on Isle Royal, with her husband. Mr. L. spent several winters on that lonely isle; he has spent fully twenty years in explorations in the copper regions; he has opened and had charge of several mines. In 1879 and 1880, he was in Colorado, exploring and mining, and returned to Lake Superior in 1880. Mr. Livermore has made his home at Houghton since 1880.

DR. JOHN S. LIVERMORE, deceased, was a native of Oneida County, N. Y. He was educated at Waterville, and graduated with the degree of M. D. He practiced in New York till 1830, when he moved to Oakland County, Mich. In 1848, he was appointed Indian Sub-Agent for the Chippewas of Lake Superior and the Upper Mississippi, and served as such three years, with headquarters at La Pointe. After the expiration of his term of office, he moved to Marquette; spent two or three years there in practice, and then moved to Copper Harbor, where he practiced till his health failed. His death occurred in 1862.

SAMUEL McDONALD, now of Pontiac, Mich., was for many years a prominent mining captain of the copper regions of Lake Superior; he was born in Cornwall, England, of Scotch parentage. He went to Scotland in early life, and followed mining in that country for several years. In 1854, he came to America, and located in the lead regions of Wisconsin. He was engaged in lead mining for several years, and, in 1858, came to Lake Superior. He worked for five years in the Old Cliff Mine, on Keweenaw Point. Leaving that mine, he accepted the position of Captain at the Shelden and Columbian Mine at Portage Lake, which position he held for seven years. He then worked at the Hancock Mine on tribute a short time. In 1876, having had forty years' experience in mining, he retired from the business, and, in 1879, he removed to Pontiac, Mich., his present home. Capt. McDonald is well and favorably known among mining men of this region, by whom he is always welcomed when he visits the old stamping grounds.

WILLIAM MILLER, proprietor of the Miller House and Miller's Hall. He was born in Saxony, Wittenberg, Germany, July 23, 1822. He is the son of Johan J. G. Miller. He learned the baker's trade in his native country, and emigrated to America in 1849. On arriving in this country, he established himself in business in his line in Detroit, Mich.; continued in business there until June, 1852. He then moved to Eagle River, Lake Superior. At first, he worked in the mines at that place, subsequently built a hotel, which he kept in company with a Mr. Frank Mayworm; they did a good business, and made money. In 1857, they dissolved partnership. Mr. Miller then traveled for nearly two years, and in some unfortunate adventures sunk all his means; returning to Lake Superior again in hopes of bettering his fortune, be located at Houghton, then only a hamlet in the wilderness. He built a small building, and engaged in hotel-keeping. He soon retrieved his fortunes, and, as the rapidly growing town justified the venture, he built on a more extensive scale, till he finally had one of the most commodious establishments in town. The Miller House of today is 45x100 feet in ground plan; is five stories high. The basement story is of solid stone, and the main building of wood. The structure includes, besides the hotel proper, a large public hall and an Odd Fellows hall. The original building was erected in 1863, and then enlarged in 1867. Mr. Miller is also proprietor of the three-story stone building adjacent, built in 1875, now occupied by Dr. Charles Hafenreffer for office and drug store. At one time, Mr. Miller's premises were headquarters for nearly all the public offices and societies in the place. Mr. M. has served in various public official capacities. He has been a member of the Village Council since 1863, except two or three terms. He was one of the first to help organize a fire department, and has been a member; was President for six years. He has served as Superintendent of the Poor for the Houghton District several years. Mr. Miller was married at Houghton, December 10, 1859, to Miss Mary Gmahling, daughter of Leonard Gmahling. Mrs. Miller was born in Bavaria, Germany.

EDWARD R. PENBERTHY, financial clerk of the Lake Superior Native Copper Works and Secretary and Treasurer of the Wolverine Mining Company, was born in Ireland June 24, 1841. In 1855, he came to Lake Superior, and located at the Cliff Mine on Keweenaw Point. He was employed as clerk at the Humboldt and Cliff Mines and store. He taught school at Eagle River two years, and was employed by Foley Bros. & Co., merchants, two years as book-keeper, and financier for the two stores at Eagle Harbor and Houghton. While at Eagle Harbor, he served as Township Clerk and Village Recorder. In 1872, he engaged in mercantile business at L'Anse with Mr. P. Brennan, under the firm name of Penberthy & Brennan, dealers in merchandise, lumber and wood. This connection was continued till the fall of 1879, when he sold out to Mr. Brennan, and returned to Houghton. While at L'Anse, he served as Village Recorder. He was next associated with the Detroit and Lake Superior Copper Company as clerk of the Houghton office till the fall of 1881. In September of that year, he accepted his present position with the Lake Superior Native Copper Works. He was instrumental in organizing the Wolverine Mining Company, of which he was elected Secretary and Treasurer. He was married, at L'Anse, Mich., September 11, 1877, to Miss Ellen M. McKernan, daughter of John Q. McKernan, of that place. They have one child—John E.

JAMES PRYOR, superintendent in charge of the works and business of the Lake Superior Ship Canal, Railway and Iron Company. Mr. P. was born in Devonshire, England, October 4, 1833. Is the son of Joseph and Elizabeth Pryor. In 1852, he emigrated with his parents to America; located at Eagle River, Lake Superior, Mich., and engaged in mining at the Albion Mine, under the management of Capt. R. Edwards. In 1853, he came to Portage Lake with Capt. Edwards and helped locate the New Albion Mine at Houghton. He returned to England in 1855, and remained until the spring of 1857, when he returned to Houghton and engaged as Principal of the school at that place. Taught school two and one-half years. He was then appointed Mining Captain of the Columbian Mine, and served one year. He then took charge of the Boston Mine, near Eagle River, for three years. From there went to Eagle Harbor, where he was engaged in mercantile business till the fall of 1868. He next spent one year in the employ of the Franklin Mining Company. In the spring of 1870, he commenced with the Portage Lake & Lake Superior Ship Canal Company as chief book-keeper and cashier; held that position from that date till the completion of the canal in 1873. He then had general charge of the business, and on the organization of the present company in 1874, he was appointed Superintendent of the entire business of the company. During the same time, he has served as Secretary and Treasurer of the Portage Lake & River Improvement Company. Mr. Pryor has resided at Houghton since 1873.

FRANK PUMERVILLE, manufacturer of and dealer in light harness; keeps a full assortment of horse furnishing goods, also of trunks, valises, etc. He was born in Watertown, Wis., July 29, 1851. He learned the harness-maker's trade at Fox Lake, Wis. Worked in that town nine years, and then moved to Green Bay and worked in that town two years. From there he came to Marquette, Mich., June 1, 1872. Remaining one year, he removed to Ashland, Wis., where he engaged in business in this line, and continued it two years. He then returned to Marquette, and one year later to Wisconsin. In the spring of 1880, he came to Houghton, worked a short time as journeyman, and bought the stock of his former employer, and has conducted the business successfully to this date, with fair prospects for the future. He now carries a stock of goods valued at $4,500. Mr. P. was married at Columbus, Wis., July 2, 1876, to Miss Agnes Strange, daughter of Joseph Strange. They have three children—Ella, Joseph and Maud.

JOSEPH W. V. RAWLINS, draughtsman and Assistant Superintendent of the Portage Lake Foundry and Machine Works, was born in Cornwall, England, February 6, 1826. Was educated for a mining engineer, and came to America in 1847. He assisted at the erection of the machinery of the Bruce Mine in Canada. In 1848, he came to Keweenaw Point and was employed as assistant engineer at the Cliff Mine, where he stayed one ear. Was next employed at the Northwest Mine for two years. From there, went to Ontonagon County, and was employed as Chief Engineer of the Minnesota Mine, one of the oldest and most successful mines of the copper region. He spent one year there, another at the Toltec Mine, and another erecting machinery at different parts of the county. He then returned to the Cliff Mine, where he erected a man-engine and other machinery. He then went to the Porcupine Mountains and erected a stamp-mill there for the Carp River Mining Company, and once more returned to the Cliff Mine, where he remained until 1870, when he removed to Houghton and engaged as draughtsman at the Portage Lake Foundry, and, with the exception of one year spent at the Detroit and Lake Superior Iron Works, and another at odd jobs, has been with the former company continuously to this date-1882. He was married in Keweenaw County, L. S., in 1856, to Mrs. Joanna Penberthy, whose maiden name was Thomas. They have two children—a son and daughter.

CARLOS D. SHELDEN, Manager of the Portage Lake Foundry and Machine Works, the property of the Ransom Shelden estate. Mr. Shelden is the son of Ransom and Theresa Shelden. He was born in Walworth County, Wis., near the south State line, June 10, 1840. He came to Lake Superior with his parents when seven years of age (1847). The family lived at Portage Entry till 1852. Then at the Quincy Mine, north of Portage Lake, till 1855, when they located at what is now Houghton. He received a mercantile education, and was employed in his father's varied business till 18—, when he engaged in the drug business at Houghton; continued in that line two years. For the past years he has been acting as Manager of the Portage Lake Foundry and Machine Works, the property of his father's estate. He is largely interested in mining property on the Menominee Range. Mr. Shelden was married at Willoughby, Ohio, June 20, 1865, to Miss May A. Skiff. One child was born to them, a son, named Ransom S. Mr. Shelden lost his wife, whose death occurred in August, 1868. He has held various local offices, and has been Supervisor of Houghton several years, and President of the village four years.

GEORGE C. SHELDEN, Secretary and Treasurer of the Portage Lake Bridge Company. He is the son of Ransom and Theresa M. Shelden. He was born in Walworth Co., Wis., Dec. 27, 1843. He was educated at Mt. Clemens, Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti, Mich. He enlisted in September, 1863, as a private in Company D, Fourth Regiment Michigan Cavalry, and was transferred to Company D, Sixteenth Michigan Infantry, in the spring of 1864, and commissioned Second Lieutenant. In April, 1865, he was promoted to Captain, and served till the close of the winter of 1865. He was married at Detroit, April 17, 1867, to Miss Mary E., daughter of Capt. Richard Edwards. Mrs. Shelden was born in Devonshire, England. They have two children—Jennie T. and Mary E. Mr. Shelden was engaged in the brewing and warehouse business at Hancock and Negaunee. In 1869, his brewery at Hancock was destroyed by fire. He then removed to Negaunee and carried on that brewery till 1875. He then returned to Houghton. After the death of his father, he was appointed, with his brother, C. D., administrator of his father's estate.

RANSOM B. SHELDEN, Clerk in the office of the Deputy United States Collector. Mr. Shelden is the son of Ransom and Theresa Douglass Shelden. He was born at Portage Entry, Houghton Co., Mich., near the shore of Lake Superior, June 10, 1852. He was the first white male child born in Houghton County, which at that time included a large portion of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. He was educated at Houghton High School, and for several years was employed in his father's business. He was married, August 22, 1873, at Houghton, Mich., to Miss Cora A. Paull, daughter of Josiah Paull. Mrs. Shelden was born at Dodgeville, Wis. They have one child, a son—Ransom P.

RANSOM SHELDEN, deceased, was born in Essex County, N. Y., July 7, 1814. He was the son of George and Hannah Shelden. His early life was passed on his father's farm, where he acquired habits of industry and frugality that characterized his future life. In 1885, he emigrated to the territory of Wisconsin, and located on wild land in the town of Walworth, Walworth County. He was married, in that town, in 1839, to Miss Theresa M. Douglas, daughter of Christopher Douglas, one of the pioneers of that region. In addition to the usual hardships incident to a settlement in a new country, Mr. Shelden had to suffer the still more trying misfortune of failing health. In 1846, in hopes of improving his physical condition, he sought the shores of Lake Superior. He effected a settlement at L'Anse, on Keweenaw Bay, where he became an Indian trader. One year later, he removed to Portage Entry, and pursued the same business. Having determined upon this place for a home, he brought his family to their new quarters. This was in 1847. The country in this region was an almost unbroken wilderness. The waters of Portage Lake were pure and clear. No stamp mills thundered along its shores, discoloring with their waste the bright, sparkling water. The canoe of the Indian or the batteaux of the fur trader constituted the only craft that traversed its surface. His nearest white neighbors were twelve miles distant. No settlement had then been effected at what is now Houghton or Hancock. From 1849 to 1852, he spent in exploring for copper. In 1852, he moved to the Quincy Mine, in the town of Quincy. Three years later, to what is now Houghton, and in company with his brother-in-law, C. C. Douglas, he erected a building of logs, situated directly opposite the present Pope & Shepard store. In this log building they opened a general store. As the copper mining interests became better understood, emigration set in, and their business increased accordingly. They soon erected a saw-mill about two miles below Houghton, which they operated with good success. They also became proprietors of the propeller Napoleon, which they designed running between Portage Entry and Detroit. She proved unfortunate, and was lost on her second trip while passing through the Sault River. He built the large building now occupied by Pope & Shepard, merchants, where he and his partner, under the firm of Shelden & Douglass, carried on an extensive mercantile business. They soon became largely interested in real estate, owning at one time upward of fifty thousand acres of land in the Upper Peninsula, embracing the location of several of the richest copper mines in this region. They were also active in organizing companies for the development of the mining interests. They organized the Isle Royal, Huron, Shelden, Portage and several other mines. He continued in the mercantile business until 1862. Mr. Shelden was a man of superior intelligence, possessed of remarkable business sagacity, enterprising and public spirited, weighing well the chances before entering upon any enterprise, but having once begun a thing it received the benefit of earnest application of his full energy. In all the relations of life, he acted well his part. Kind and considerate in his family circle, ambitious for his children, he spared no pains in their behalf; was always ready to advise and assist them. He was a good neighbor and a true friend, and in the multiplicity of his business relations was always found a man who counted his word as sacred as his bond. In politics, he was first a Whig, and on the organization of the Republican party he allied himself with that party, and, although in a hopeless minority in this locality, he was bold in his defense of his opinions, and the party that he helped to organize there is now the dominant party of the county, State and nation. In 18, he built the fine mansion that fronts the street bearing his name, and where his widow and two of his sons still reside. His death occurred at Jamestown, N. Y., surrounded by his family, May 17, 1878. His family consisted of wife and four children. Carlos D., the eldest son, was married to Miss Mary A. Skiff, now deceased. He is now manager of the Portage Lake Foundry, opposite Houghton. The second son, George C., married Miss Mary E. Edwards, and resides at Houghton. The only daughter, Christine M., died, aged 32 years. The youngest son, Ransom B., married Miss Cora A. Paull, and lives at the old homestead.

Ransom Shelden Mrs. Theresa M. Shelden

EDWARD L. SILLER, undertaker, manufacturer and dealer in furniture; is also a contractor and builder; established his business in Houghton in 1869. The subject of this sketch was born in St. Petersburg Russia, May 8, 1837. He is the son of Charles Frederick E. Miller, Professor at the Royal Academy at St. Petersburg. In 1849, when only twelve years of age, he emigrated to America; located at Milwaukee, Wis., where he served a regular apprenticeship to the cabinet-making business; was employed at Milwaukee four years. He then went to Chicago, and from there South. He was in business at New Orleans in 1854. Returning to Chicago, he set out by team for Lake Superior in 1857, and traversed the wilderness of Northern Wisconsin and Minnesota to Superior City. In 1859, he came to Houghton; was in business there two years, and then went to Iowa in 1861. He returned to Houghton in 1869, and established his present business. In 1870, he was appointed Sexton of the Houghton Cemetery, and has held that position to this date. He kept a fine hearse, and is still the only undertaker of Houghton. He was married at Houghton in the fall of 1859 to Miss Amelia M. Newcomb, daughter of William Newcomb. Mrs. Siller was born in Devonshire, England. They have eight childrenBertha M. Emma A., Clara, Edward, Alexander, Frank, Robert and Isabella N.

PATRICK SLATTERY, foreman of the Smelting Works of the Lake Superior Native Copper Works, was born in Ireland January 4, 1847; he came to America in May, 1869, and direct to Lake Superior. In July of that year, he engaged with the Detroit and Lake Superior Copper Company at Houghton. He learned the smelting business thoroughly; he had charge of one furnace six years. When the Lake Superior Native Copper Works Company erected their Smelting Works, he was engaged as foreman, and entered upon his duties June 12, 1882. Mr. Slattery was married at Hancock, March 4, 1878, to Miss Ann Noonan, daughter of John Noonan. Mrs. Slattery was born in Canada, but came to Lake Superior when two years of age. They have three children, all sons—John, Edward and Joseph.

J. B. STURGIS was born in Maryland, but left when about seventeen years old for New York City, where he resided until 1865. In the summer of 1865, he came to Lake Superior, and has resided in Houghton since 1867; married a daughter of John Hoar in 1870; was elected County Treasurer in 1872, and was re-elected four terms; accepted the position of cashier of the First National Bank of Houghton in 1879.

J. C. THOMSON, agent of the Lake Superior Transit Company, was born in Detroit, Mich., October 22, 1855; was educated in the schools of that city, receiving a business education at Bryant and Stratton's Commercial College. In 1870, he entered the service of the Lake Superior Transit Company at Detroit; sailed on this line as purser six years. In 1880, he was appointed local agent at Hancock, and has served in that capacity since.

CAPT. RICHARD UREN, Secretary and Treasurer of the Lake Superior Native Copper Works; see sketch of industries of Houghton for history of the works. Capt. Uren was born in Cornwall, England, January 10, 1835. He is the son of William and Jane Uren. In 1851, he emigrated to America, and reached Houghton, Lake Superior, in September of that year; he worked as a miner from 1851 to 1855; he then formed a partnership with his brother John in a lease of the Copper Falls Mine of Keweenaw County. After the expiration of this lease in 1859, he engaged as mining captain of the same mine, and served till 1863; he then formed a partnership with Dunstone & Blight for the manufacture of safety fuse, at Eagle River. The machinery was invented by Mr. Uren, and the works were styled the Eagle River Fuse Factory; he was then appointed agent of the Madison, Winthrop and Dana Mines of the same company. In 1864, he was agent of the Pewabic and Franklin Mines at the same time. He resigned in 1868, and went to California, where he established a Safety Fuse Factory; he returned to Lake Superior in January, 1872, and leased the Pewabic and Franklin Mines, which he operated till July, 1874. He was next agent again for the Madison Mine. In 1877, he went to the Black Hills, where he became interested in gold mining. Returning to Lake Superior, he purchased an interest in the Lake Superior Native Copper Works, of which he is the present Secretary and Treasurer. The company are now laying the foundation for new and more extensive works. Mr. Uren was married in Cornwall, England, August 11, 1859, to Miss Jane Nicholas, daughter of William Nicholas. They have had five children, four daughters and one son—Elizabeth, died aged eight years; Mary A., died aged one year; William J., Bessie and Mary.

M. VAN ORDEN, insurance agent and manufacturer of lime, was born in the city of New York October 28, 1845. He is the son of William and Janet Van Orden. In 1863, he came to Lake Superior and engaged as merchant clerk at the Cliff Mine, Keweenaw County. He resided at this place until 1867, when he removed to Calumet, Houghton County, where he first served as Deputy Postmaster and next as supply clerk at the Hecla branch of the Calumet and Hecla Mining Company. In 1872, he moved to Houghton and entered the office of Hubbell & Chadbourne, attorneys and insurance agents. In 1877, he succeeded to their insurance business. He now represents the following well-known and popular companies: The Etna of Hartford, New York Underwriters Agency the Insurance Company of North America, Pennsylvania Fire, Fire Association of Philadelphia, the Imperial and Northern of London, the Metropole of France, and the Equitable Life. In 1879, he bought out the Cullum Limekilns. In the fall of 1880, he built the substantial new kilns situated near the Portage Lake Bridge, where he manufactures 10,000 barrels of lime annually for the home market. The stone from which this lime is manufactured is imported from Kelly's Island, Lake Erie.

Includable Page Index History of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan: Houghton County
 Pages 250 - 256 | Pages 256 - 264 | Pages 264 - 272 | Pages 272 - 276 | Pages 276 - 279 | Pages 279 - 283 | Pages 283 - 286
Pages 286 - 291 | Pages 291 - 299 | Pages 299 - 302 | Pages 302 - 305 | Pages 305 - 311 | Pages 311 - 316 | Pages 316 - 320
Copper Country Online Files

Copper Country Online Files

Houghton MIGenWeb

Index | Archives | Bibliography | Bios | Cemeteries | Lookups | Obits | Queries 

Keweenaw MIGenWeb

Index | Archives | Bibliography | Bios | Cemeteries | Lookups | Obits | Queries

Join Us On FaceBook

  Web Page Coding: Copyright © 1998 - 2013. All rights reserved. Volunteers hold copyright to the material they have donated for this site.  Not to be copied and used in any format to any other site or in any other media including CDs, books, and visual presentations.  Small parts (not all one surnames studies) may be used in personal family genealogies.  Please cite your source (this site) when using this data. 

MIGenWeb Project


Hosted on the Michigan Family History Network Server